Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A HOLY CRAP MOMENT--and remembering a dream

You remember that commercial where the chick says, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful?" Well, this is going to be one of those commercials, baby.

Don't hate me because I'm...GOING TO SCOTLAND!

Yes, sports fans--and mixed metaphor fans--I get to blow this taco stand and get the hell out of Dodge. No, not NOW, but a year from June-ish. (This summer is all about getting my boy to Disneyland.) But come the spring of 2013 Hubby and I are going to tour it on a motorcycle.

I know this probably bores you to tears, but know this: going to Scotland has always been the end game. Discovering I was Scottish, when 12 years old, had a helluva lot to do with me becoming a writer. I can remember how excited I was the day after I found out. I remember the hallway at South Davis Junior High. I remember the Formica flooring! I remember the dim lighting and the side of the library where I found that first Scottish novel. And I remember thinking that if Scotland weren't on the other side of the world and in another century, I would have liked to live there. (I was told there was no Scotland anymore, that it had been swallowed up by England.) It was years later when I saw Scotland on a current map that I realized real people lived there, in real time. And the dream began.

I'm so glad I won't be going on a senior citizen tour.

And what has made it possible? Finally publishing a Scottish novel. Scotland has brought me to Scotland. Obviously, Scotland wants me there!!! I'm just trying to make Scotland happy.

HAH!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one in the world deserves to go more than YOU do!!! Happy Happy Joy Joy

L.L. Muir said...

Who said that? Come back here!

Anonymous said...

I just want to know . . . haggis or no haggis?

(I'm THRILLED for you!)
Lynn

L.L. Muir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

OK, I admit it...I hate you just a little bit!!! I want to go to Scotland! *cries*

♥Melissa

L.L. Muir said...

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut...but it wasn't possible.